This is a new thread to update you on the Update on Ongoing Issues (01/02/22) post.
We have taken the decision to keep transactions turned off, and hold the update until latest, the end of February.
While I know that this may frustrate some of you, it’s an important decision we have taken for the wellbeing and security of the company.
Some reasons as to why we’ve taken this decision are as follows;
- By delaying the update, we are able to combine the total new look app design, as well as prepare for public launch
- By keeping transactions turned off during this time period, we can ensure that some compliance bits get cleared up for the public launch
- Some issues require a third party involvement, as as much as we press them, it can be a slow process
I am sure you all understand that this decision is best for VitraCash, and enables us to ensure we are ready for a public launch towards the start of March.
I’d like to reiterate the following points - just for the avoidance of any doubt.
All transactions are currently turned off. This applies to everyone.
This can include transactions that only do an active card check, as technically the cards are not active while we have transactions switched off.
If you do attempt a transaction, and it appears as ‘confirmed’ in the app, this is an issue that will be fixed with the UI update. Please do not report this. Any ‘holding of funds’ on your underlying card will automatically be released. If after 7 working days, you have not had the funds released to the underlying card, contact us so we can look into this.
The above paragraph will only be an issue for those people who actively attempt a transaction during the outage. We are already aware of declined transactions being shown as confirmed, but this does not claim the money from your underlying card.
While we are in the middle of updating things, the app may not work as expected. This applies to everyone.
This includes trying to add/remove cards, or attempted transactions while transactions are switched off. But a lot of other bits may not work as expected.
Once we are ready to push the new update, we will post here on the forum. When the new version launches, a return to The Week @ VitraCash should also start, as we won’t be putting all of our time into the backend.
Until I can update you again on anything else, if you have a comment, question or reaction, you know what to do
Have a great week!