Algorithm Depth

Having random thoughts whilst using my many cards, waiting patiently for Vitras life changing product…

Round-up features.

Say I have 2 cards, both offering 1% cash back on purchases, one of them has a round-up feature that also offers 5% interest on savings rounded up. Will the vitracard be able to differentiate between the 2?

4 Likes

This is an amazing question, @Ben_Barker, and something I’ve not actually heard of, so I will CC @FlorianWinkler/@koraykoska for their advice on this one.

5 Likes

@Ben_Barker I like the wording depth. We are building our algorithm step by step and with every step, it will go more into depth than before. Though the first version will not include product-specific decisions which go into depth like that, a future version will. We are just planning how to structure updating information like that on our databases before going into this direction.
One main approach will be community sourcing things like that. So once the beta is out, please always report if a decision was not right for your specific case and explain why so we can improve our algorithm based on this data.

That being said, even if the algorithm does not go into those depths yet, you will in the near future be able to create custom rules to accommodate those specific decisions.

5 Likes

Thanks for answering! Really looking forward to seeing it all in action!
Any news on beta time line?

1 Like

We are just finishing internal testing on a couple of things, but as I said here;

So it shouldn’t be too much longer!

2 Likes

Edging towards the holiday period. Looking like a public launch at the start of the New Year which is normally a time of people watching what they spend and reviewing their finances so may well turn out to be a favourable time.

3 Likes

@Ben_Barker 1% + 5% on round up sounds like the Chase Card :wink:

In regards to algorithm depth’s - perhaps some user defined goals or the ability to specify certain rules to influence the algorithm might also be helpful. Here are some examples:

• For my German DKB card, some fees depend on “active client” status. As long as it’s requirements are met, foreign currency transactions / ATM withdrawals are free.

• I might have a preference for covering certain transactions with a credit card instead of a debit card (e.g. for flights during corona times to allow easier refunds in case of cancellations).

• When using some booking portals, some extra discounts are offered for paying with Visa while others do it for Mastercard. Those might only happen during a limited time frame though and need to be taken into account in addition to the card currency. As I have German and UK credit cards offering no transaction fees, the combined effect could make it worth using e.g. a German Visa card for a Sterling transaction if I get the Visa discount and my UK card is a Mastercard.

• When using Transferwise / Revolut some users might have multi currency accounts. Knowing currency balances could be very useful for choosing such card over others, but might also depend e.g. on goals for achieving cash back.

• Revolut rates (and perhaps some also some other cards) might come with a caveat for transactions on on weekends (as they add extra fees to buffer Forex rates). These don’t matter however, as long as you have enough currency credit on your account.

• A great algorithm could perhaps even consider the difference between Mastercard and Visa rates for foreign transactions when other circumstances are equal (even though the real rate can’t be determined on the day of the transaction due to posting delays)

4 Likes

Hi Mike, I quote what Koray said earlier in this topic, as I think that gives you some idea on how our algorithm will work.

2 Likes

© 2021 VitraCash Ltd. All rights reserved.
VitraCash Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales (No. 12854518).
Registered Address: 2nd Floor College House, 17 King Edwards Road, Ruislip, London, United Kingdom, HA4 7AE.